Reports to: Development Director
Status: Full time
Do you enjoy membership development? Do you love the environment? Want to put your love for the environment and membership together? The Housatonic Valley Association has an opportunity for you!
Role of the Membership and Annual Gifts Manager
The Membership and Annual Gifts Manager manages all aspects of HVA’s membership renewal, retention, reinstatement, recruitment, as well as
- membership upgrading, tracking and reporting;
- integrates membership engagement and recruitment with the organization’s communication outreach and conservation work, as well as member cultivation events and follow-up;
- production and management of all aspects of member acquisition including generation of mailing lists, coordinating and overseeing design, coordinating print and mailing vendors; producing and managing all membership renewal, reminder, special appeal and acknowledgment letters;
- mailing of membership outreach materials; managing the donor database (Salsa) including all data entry, imports and exports, clean up, tracking, including coordinating with board and staff on results and data input; analyzing donor cultivation plans and tracking contacts within a moves management system in the data base;
- compiling and analyzing data and producing reports on membership composition and trends for staff and the Board Development Committee.;
- provides administrative support to the Development Team (ED, DD and board) fundraising strategies including major gifts, planned gifts and other donor outreach.
- reviews and edits all donor materials and invitations; recruits and supervises volunteers for mailing stuffing and events; and carries out other duties as assigned by the Development Director.
The Membership and Annual Gifts Manager also manages logistics for special and fundraising events including all mailings, guest registration, and day-of-event management, and represents HVA at outreach events and one-on-one meetings and other opportunities as needed.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- A genuine passion for environmental conservation of rivers and watersheds.
- Exceptional customer service.
- A high level of individual initiative and creativity.
- Clear, donor-centric writing, editing, and verbal communication.
- Attention to detail, high standards, accuracy, error-free data entry and writing, and donor confidentiality.
- Strong working knowledge and experience using donor database systems and the ability to rapidly learn and use new software. HVA is migrating to Salsa in spring 2018.
- Excellent skills in word processing and spread sheet management (MS Word and Excel)
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, and the ability to meet deadlines.
- A natural lean toward, and curiosity about, getting to know people and communicating with them.
- Familiarity with non-profit fundraising and membership management, best practices and techniques.
- The ability to deal effectively and tactfully with a wide variety of people in correspondence, on the telephone and in person.
- The ability to make decisions and resolve practical problems independently.
- The ability to work with limited supervision and as part of a team.
- The ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects with deadlines.
- A willingness to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends.
4 year degree and 2 years’ experience preferred, or at least four years demonstrated experience commensurate with job requirements.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. HVA provides a group health care plan, retirement match, paid holidays, and paid vacation and sick/flex time. This is a non-exempt position. HVA is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send resume and cover letter to Lynn Werner, Executive Director: email@example.com