COMMUNICATIONS AND ENGAGEMENT MANAGER
HVA is seeking a Communications and Engagement Manager to design and implement strategies to inspire and motivate the general public to help carry-out the organization’s mission “to protect the natural character and environmental health of the entire Housatonic Watershed for this and future generations.” This entails communicating with people through words and visuals, as well as involving them in opportunities that deepen their appreciation and/or improve the local environment. Communications and involvement should be designed to enhance HVA’s visibility and to motivate people to help further the organization’s mission in wide-ranging ways—from simply improving one’s behavior in caring for personal property, to influencing environmental policies, to providing charitable support for the organization.
- Engage key staff in developing and implementing an annual communications and engagement plan to help achieve HVA’s strategic objectives.
- With the involvement of other staff, establish and manage a robust, up-to-date and dynamic online presence. This includes responsibility for managing the organization’s website, ensuring a strong presence on social networking and third-party sites as relevant, creating e-blasts, blogs and other distribution channels as appropriate, capitalizing on relevant stories, video and photos, and serving as the organization’s resource on communication and information technology including various applications such as Constant Contact.
- Collaborating with various staff, help create communications materials—digital or otherwise as needed for a variety of purposes—publicity, promotion, attendance at events, informing target audiences about work being done in particular areas, persuading people to take action about a policy issue, soliciting contributions, educating people of all ages about good environmental practices.
- Stay current on developments of the “field staff.” Use it to inform content generally—on the website, social media, mailings, etc. Help further priorities through publicity, disseminating information, using social media, promoting and supporting gatherings, etc.
- Create and distribute media announcements and pitch stories as appropriate to the topic, region and any other criteria as relevant.
- Collaborating with other staff, help conceive activities (events, meetings, etc.), taking responsibility for creating needed communications such as public remarks or presentations, audio/visuals, etc.
- Work with the advancement director to help create ways, through communication tools, to reinforce HVA “membership identity” why it’s special and/or desirable–e.g., helping members feel especially “in-the-know” and/or appreciated.
- Develop and maintain a “library” of communication materials and other marketing tools and supplies. This includes visuals (photography, design work including logos), basic reference materials, etc.
- Oversee the design and use of visual elements and perform basic design work such as lay-out. Prepare photography and other media for publication. Safeguard overall visual identity through establishing and monitoring consistent design elements. Serve as the guardian of visual branding and monitor consistent design elements.
- Working with the advancement director and advancement data Coordinator, continue to build a data collection about members and prospective members into communications processes.
- Maintain expertise with communications channels and information management tools.
- A bachelor’s degree and skills relevant to the responsibilities above.
- At least 5 years of experience that includes a successful track-record of executing strategic communications and includes managing a website.
- Evidence of strong communication skills, especially writing–verbalizing in wide-ranging contexts—basic, unambiguous information-sharing; social media; persuasive or inspirational writing—and being able to write for to different “audiences.”
- Nimble—ability to capitalize on communication needs and opportunities on short notice.
- Strategic and results-oriented—mindset for devising communications for driving to specific organizational goals.
- Technically skilled in website management and adaptability to software applications as needed to perform the job.
- Strong web researching skills.
- Detail-oriented, with proof-reading abilities.
- Collegial work-style with the ability to work independently as well.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Understands and appreciates environmental issues and non-profit organizations.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.